Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Theo Jansen and Kinetic Art

Theo Jansen makes me believe in the possibility that art can change the world. Theo re-conceptualized the movement and mechanics of the wheel by thinking of it 3Dimensionally. He is what I call a "Green Artist" because he uses totally recycled materials to create art and uses natural wind power to create movement. His new design for the wheel could possibly change the way cars are made in the future and his designs have already been used by the government in tanks. The first time I saw Theo Jansen's work I was deeply inspired to make a kinetic sculpture myself. Below is just one of my ideas I am sure I will never find time to create but still enjoying envisioning.

I want to make an installation kinetic wall sculpture using wooden forms. I will first make three forms in the same shape but in varying proportionate sizes. These size differences will help build momentum. I would like to base the form of these shapes on the Star Anise (as shown). I will then attach spokes to each form and a second similar form that is significantly smaller in front of it attached. Strings or large rubber bands are used to connect the forms and function as the "wire" for the energy to transfer. Once an object has been pushed upon movement happens. This energy would gradually dissipate to a stop. This is not however that unique of an idea. The included picture I recently found is an example of a piece that has a similar foundation (pic to right). In order to keep my kinetic sculpture moving I thought about creating my own batteries. I have been inspired to make batteries since I read about the discovery of the "Baghdad Batteries". These artifacts found have raised a discussion on the possibility and possible objectives of ancient man making electricity. Through reading these discussions I learned how natural batteries are made. These artifacts found or “Baghdad Batteries” were clay jars containing rolled-up copper sheet. Inside the copper cylinder a single iron rod was found. When iron and copper are submerged in an acidic electrolyte solution such as lemon juice or vinegar a volt of electricity would be generated. I have not figured on how many "homemade" batteries would be needed in order to create enough of a current yet because I do not have a determined size of the wheels. I would use wire to help run the current and consider the aesthetics when positioning.



No comments:

Post a Comment