Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Assignment # 6

“The Networked Project”

A student who is learning through Connectivism is taking control of his/her own learning. Students learn through a social network of many diverse connections and this is made possible through the use of computers. Student’s knowledge of a particular subject/topic is perpetuated through a series of informed searches both on an academic level and individual. Students then are encouraged to blog their own thoughts on the subject and in effect create their own up to the minute virtual textbook.

The role of the teacher in an education system such as Connectivism is to show students how to build their network and inspire topics. Teachers are there for students when they get stuck and offer solutions. These teachers show students how to communicate properly and respectively when corresponding with experts. They inspire the questions and show them how to search the web through many avenues. The teacher also needs to show the students how to differentiate between good and bad sources. While the teacher’s role is more limited in this type of education system their role is still very much needed.

I did my own research on this type of education approach and have come to realize that it is quite effective. I can only hope to work in an education system that will be supportive towards this approach. I will do everything in my power to be prepared to be a teacher of a networked student. This will require me to continually be a student of this approach. I know that this is the future of education and I am excited to be a part of it. I do not however think that a fully virtual education system is the way to go. As human being we are socially driven and this type of education does incorporate this understanding and fosters social connections. However, I do hope that real world interactions will always continue. I would hate to think of future where everyone is physically separated.

“Welcome to my PLE!”

This video shows the personal perspective and educational journey of a student who is a part of a networked classroom. She has created and organized icon page of links that serves as her base browser. When she comes to class she checks her page to see what she is doing for the day. She has freedom as to what order and route she sees fit. She uses such programs as Google Docs to help keep organized. She creates presentations and Blogs which can be used to assess for knowledge. She puts all of her research and reflections onto her own personal Glogster page which can then be peer reviewed.

With this type of educational approach students practice responsibility , perpetuate their own learning cycle and help create a greener planet in the process. With this type of self directed study on the internet learning personal responsibility is a must in order to be successful. I think that students can’t become responsible without having to practice responsibility. Allowing freedom may cause problems at first for students who have never been trusted but it is only through this process that they will ever learn. This type of learning approach requires the student to become their own teacher and I think this is the most important tool they can learn. I also am a huge environmentalist and see the enormous amount waste that occurs in regular schooling today. Using computers predominately will cut waste and save on precious resources.

I am just now beginning the process of creating my own PLN and am excited to see what the future has in store. Within these past six weeks I have learned more useful information that will perpetuate my own learning journey than I have in a life time. I hope to set my own students this journey when given the opportunity.

“The Machine is Changing Us”

This lecture starts by comparing my two favorite books 1984 and Brave New World and I have often thought both were warnings of possible futures that we are seeing today. In Brave New World Huxley shows just how easily the masses could be controlled by satisfying the desire for constant amusement. Now with the invention of television and the internet the mass public is in this state that Neil Postman calls “amused to death”. We were only connected through roads and television and lost our own voices. Now we live in a world that encourages personal expression and individual voices. It is so extreme that there are millions of voices and individuals speaking out behind. We are still amusing ourselves to death but it is in a sea of amusement with millions of people all competing at once. With all these people talking who has time to listen. This has created an unexpected phenomenon that will reshape and redefine the idea of self awareness. The anonymity that this kind of social media allows has caused the individual to become more self reflective and aware. It is human nature to try to know ourselves through our relations with others but when that other is the silent void of the world on the other side of the web cam we can get to know ourselves it whole new ways. This social media frenzied culture is fueled by our desire for connection.

Until the past few years I haven’t been a fan of the idea of Facebooking and Blogging. I thought it was to narcissistic and vain. I still have trouble sometimes defining who I am and what I have to say for the world to possibly hear. I do however want to a part of this world and make some contributes for the greater good so I realize I must participate. I think for the most part identity is self created instead of being found. This is an unfortunate result of this new social networking culture. I do however agree that social networking places like “Facebook “and “You Tube” can inspire people to look into themselves more deeply and may lead to self-awareness.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Regina!

    I'm not sure the teacher role is any less important, just different. the role of the teacher is changing. In "The Networked Student" its like Dr. Strange says the teacher is more of a coach. The teacher's role is more about being supportive, giving advice and guidance. The student is more in control of his or her own learning. A good example is the student who showed her personal learning environment. Now she's in control.

    Your blog looks great. I like all of the graphics. Don't forget your ALT and TITLE tags. Otherwise, keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete